Follow me on Pinterest

11.07.2013

Herringbone Quilt

This quilt took me a while (when I say "a while" that's in Rachel Quilting Time. RQT). One reason is that I didn't want to pay $100 plus to have it quilted. I get that when you make a quilt that takes a lot of time, you want it finished professionally. I understand that completely. But I also like to save money when I quilt so that I can use that saved money for, you guessed it, more quilting! My mom mentioned that a shop owner near her rented out her long arm quilting machine by the hour. I decided that I would quilt this myself using a long arm machine. I wasn't scared at first, until I went onto youtube and watched some videos. Holy wow! Some of those people are AMAZINGLY good!! I was SO nervous that I had nightmares about ruining my quilt, I was getting anxious and sweaty when we went to the shop. Turns out, I have SO much fun! I loved doing it! Once I finished my quilt I started thinking about the next quilt I could bring in. Then I decided I wanted my own machine, except that's not going to happen any time soon! It was a great experience and I'm really happy with how this quilt turned out! 
 
I have a short little video of my first time quilting with the long arm. I printed out a pattern and then followed it with the light. I think it would be a lot easier to use the handles on the front, if I were confident enough to do it by free hand. Maybe one day! 

The pattern I followed on the quilt. 
I had to follow the lines using that red laser light. It was pretty difficult.


 Minky on the back, the best for kids' quilts
Find the tutorials for this quilt here:


Find more quilts here:

No comments:

Post a Comment