Follow me on Pinterest

10.01.2013

Herringbone "City" Quilt

The herringbone quilt!! I've been working on this for quite some time. I wasn't sure how it was going to come together so it took me a month to make. My cute son asked me to make him a "city" quilt. What is a city quilt? I couldn't decide how to incorporate that into quilt form. We went to the fabric store, he sat in the room where all the bored children sit, playing on his ipod, while I brought in fat quarters. He picked out all the fabric. I brought him probably 30 different fat quarters, and he chose 12. He also picked out the printed city fabric. I love the herringbone style, I knew I wanted that in the quilt somewhere. I had the fabric and an idea in my mind, then I just kind of went for it.
I didn't want to use the city fabric for the herringbone because you wouldn't really get to see the whole thing and all the city names. Since I knew I was going to use it as a strip on the top and bottom of the quilt, I decided to make my herringbone strips 17 printed fabrics and 2 white long. I made 7 herringbone strips, and added 1 1/2 inch white in between each one. Except the outside ones I added a 3 inch white border. 

 I DID NOT add white to the top and bottom herringbone, I cut my print out 6 1/2 inched wide and measured my width (this was tricky because of the stretch which is why I am not including my numbers), added a 3 inch white border to the sides and sewed it on. I then added another 3 1/2 inch border to the top and bottom of my printed fabric. A black border that is 1 1/2 inches wide and a yellow 4 1/2 inch border to complete it. It's about a 60*70 quilt. I am not going to include an exact pattern because the way that I cut my fabric for the herringbone made it stretch a LOT, it was too difficult to try and write a pattern that wouldn't be overly complicated. If you have any specific questions, I can answer them in the comments section. 
Now it's off the be quilted, and then I will have a birthday present for my cute almost 10 year old! 
Happy Quilting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment