Follow me on Pinterest

9.24.2013

Kale Quinoa Minestrone Soup

One thing I love about the cool fall weather is soups! I'm a huge soup fan! They're so easy to throw together and you can't go wrong with a hearty soup to warm you up. This is my version minestrone with quinoa, and kale (my 2 favorite ingredients). This can be made in about 30-40 minutes, depending on how quickly you can chop. 
Here is what you will need-
-1/3 cup quinoa (this can be expensive, I suggest buying from the bulk section, or getting it from costco)
-1/4 onion chopped
-2 TBSP olive oil
-3 cloves garlic chopped
-1 can fire roasted tomatoes
-1 can vegetable broth
-1 10 oz can tomato paste
-10 baby carrots chopped
-2 stalks of celery chopped
-1 zucchini chopped
-1 potato peeled and chopped
-1 can white beans (also known as great northern beans)
-2 stalks of kale. Remove the stalks and tear into pieces
-1 TBSP soy sauce
-1 tps oregano
-Salt and pepper to taste

I always soak my quinoa before using it. Place it in a bowl, cover with water and let soak for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, saute your onion in 2 TBSP olive oil in large pot over medium heat until translucent, add garlic for about 20-30 seconds, add potatoes, carrots, celery, zucchini, vegetable broth, tomato paste, and fire roasted tomatoes. Use can from fire roasted tomatoes and fill with water 3 times, add to soup. Bring to a boil over medium heat. While soup heats (don't forget to stir occasionally), open white beans, and rinse in a strainer, set aside. Rinse quinoa in strainer (I use a mesh strainer since quinoa is so tiny) and add to soup. Once soup boils cover, lower heat to low, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are soft and quinoa is cooked (it fattens up and turns a little translucent). Add oregano, soy sauce, and beans. Turn heat off and add kale. I don't like to cook the kale, just warm it up enough so that it wilts. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Since I only used one can of vegetable broth I tend it add a bit of salt. Sometimes I will put in about 1 TBSP kosher salt. But I also love salt.. So make sure you add it to taste! 


No comments:

Post a Comment