Follow me on Pinterest

7.25.2016

Easy Baby Quilt (Part Deux)


 We've had numerous comments (good and bad) about our Easy Baby Quilt. Because we wanted to make certain our directions were correct and because one of my wonderful friends is about due to have a baby, I decided to recreate the quilt again.
I used the measurements found on the diagram for the Easy Baby Quilt, and I can, with complete certainty, verify the measurements are correct. However, you must cut accurately and make sure seams are exactly 1/4".
I actually sewed this quilt together a little different than the other...and this method is somewhat easier. (Live and learn)





Materials: 3/8 yards of three prints, 1/4 yard of vertical print (unless it is a one-way design);  3/4 yard of white; and 1/2 yard for binding

Step One: Cut seven strips 6 1/2" x width of fabric
Cut seven white strips 1 1/2" x width of fabric
Cut four white strips 2 1/2" x width of fabric
Cut five strips for binding 2 1/2" x width of fabric
Well, this is embarrassing, it looks like it's been wadded up. I really did iron it first, but it was packed away in my suitcase and I didn't think to iron it again before taking the picture. It did get ironed before it was sewn together.

Step Two: Sew a 6 1/2" x width strip to a 1 1/2" x width strip. Do this with all strips except for the bottom row.


Step Three: Sew all the strips together (do not sew the center strip on yet, and the top row and bottom row should not have any white attached to them at this point).
These are all strips sewn with the white attached.
Step Four: Measure 6 1/2" from the edge and cut. Then trim the rest down to 27 1/2". These are your two pieces that go on each side of your featured print.

Step Five: Sew the center feature print (you should have already sewn the 1 1/2" strips to either side) onto your 27 1/2 x 41 1/2" strips. Then, to the other side of feature print sew on the 6 1/2 x 41 1/2" piece. Make sure that strips line up on either side of feature print.



Step Six: Trim so all edges are straight, then attach the 2 1/2" sashing to all outside edges of quilt. This 2 1/2" sashing is actually wider than in the original design because I wanted a slightly bigger finished blanket.

And, last, but not least, I used minky on the back and machine quilted it using my free-motion foot. It took a lot of thread, but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.




























No comments:

Post a Comment