Follow me on Pinterest

12.12.2014

Christmas tree wall hanging

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, it is December and I have not done any posting! All year long I make Christmas quilts, then when December hits, I am MIA. It's been a busy time of year, and I just finished a couple Christmas presents for some good friends. I have SO many Christmas scraps, SO many, and I saw this super cute free tree pattern on pinterest, so I decided to start making trees. One tree turned into four, and I thought they would make adorable presents (instead of hoarding them all for myself because I really love Christmas fabric!). I've made a quick tutorial so you can make your own, or if you're more giving than me, you can make them as gifts.



These were made using scrap fabric, so I don't have exact amounts

First things first, the tree.
The free pattern is from Mccalls CHRISTMAS TREE
I made my trees using paper piecing, but the pattern doesn't require that method. I just think the lines turn out nicer when you paper piece.

The tree block will be 10 inches by 10 inches when complete

 Your tree is done,  now you need to add a 2 1/2 inch border all the way around your tree
Then add a 1 1/2 inch border all the way around 
(please forgive these photos, it was dark, I hate when the sun sets at 430 pm!!)
You will then need 20, 4 1/2 inch by 4 1/2 inch squares to go along your tree. 
Sew 4 on the top and bottom 
Then add 6 along the sides

And you have your wall hanging, or table topper, or a big square for a super cute quilt! 
Mine looks perfect over the mantle! The best part is, I didn't buy any new fabric. I even used up all my old batting scraps, it looked like a Frankenstein, but luckily no one sees that part!
I made these trees before deciding what to do with them, have I mentioned that they would be such a cute quilt! 
Wall hanging that I made for a friend
Another wall hanging with out the squares, I just put borders around it. I think it turned out just as cute and it's faster since you have no squares to line up or sew together! 

MERRY CHRISTMAS! 



No comments:

Post a Comment