Follow me on Pinterest

10.10.2013

Pumpkin Wall Hanging (with movable eyes!)

Quilted Pumpkin Halloween Wall Hanging 




Start with 20 Halloween fabrics that are cut 4 1/2 inches by 4 1/2 inches. I used a lot of Halloween fabric I had been collecting. These will be for your borders. 
 You need 15 black pieces that are 4 1/2 inches by 4 1/2 inches. I cut 6 - 4 1/2 inch by 4 1/2 inch and one black piece that was 12 1/2 inches by 12 1/2 inches since I knew it would be covered by my pumpkin, I didn't want to do the extra work! You could cut one black piece that is 12 1/2 inches by  20 1/2 inches, if you want to do even less work. 

Sew your pieces together as shown. The black will be the center and all the fun Halloween prints will border the quilt
I drew my pumpkin on freezer paper, made sure he fit where I wanted him, and then I cut him out. I ironed my cut out onto my orange fabric for easy cutting (I used 1/2 yard of orange), and cut him out leaving 1/4 an inch around the boarder.
I'm not a professional appliquer so I'm not going to give detailed instructions. Basically for the eyes and nose, I left the edges raw and zigzag stitched them on. I cut out batting to add to the back of my pumpkin to make him extra soft. I turned the edges under and then zigzag stitched the pumpkin onto my background


After my pumpkin was on, I cut out the back of the quilt and the batting, basted them together with my spray, and hand quilted using my machine. I sewed some rick rack around the border, and bound it. 
So what about the eyes? I couldn't decide where to put them. The solution, I hot glued some heavy duty magnets to the back on my buttons, and now I can move the eyes wherever I want! I love that my pumpkin can have so many faces!  



No comments:

Post a Comment